Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I scream, you scream, we all scream for...pictures!!!


Lady Eleanor

Here's another!

Close-up

Yes, that is indeed the Lady Eleanor. The yarn I'd ordered for her arrived last Wednesday and I've been knitting like crazy since then. Sadly, I'm not as far along as I should be by now because on Saturday, I dropped a stitch and had to unravel the whole thing. Ok, I didn't have to but I got so frustrated trying to fix the damn thing that I thought it'd be best to just start all over. Thankfully I'd only completed two tiers and so I didn't have to do much unravelling. Aside from that unfortunate mishap, the Lady is progressing very nicely. The pattern is much easier than you might think from looking at the scarf. There are no unusual stitches or complicated charts to follow, just your basic knitting, purling and picking up stitches. The one annoying thing is the pattern requires you to turn your work after every eight stitches or so, which slows me down considerably. In an effort to avoid turning my work, I successfully taught myself how to knit backwards and did so for several tiers but was forced to abandon my new trick when I realized that my gauge was much too loose. It also felt extremely awkward and more importantly, I couldn't do it without looking at my work and so it detracted from precious Gilmore Girls watching time. Obviously I couldn't have that and so I settled for the inconvenience of turning my knitting. Oh well, at least I learned a valuable skill that should come in handy someday.

On Saturday Zeb and I braved the rain and nasty weather for our first trip to Grimaldis in DUMBO. For those of you who don't know, Grimaldis has a reputation for churning out pizza pies so amazingly delicious that there is frequently a long line of people waiting outside the restaurant for their chance to experience pizza nirvana. Since they don't deliver or sell slices, if you want to try their pizza you have to suck it up and get in line which is what we and our friends Veronica and Brian did. Fortunately, we only had to wait about 7 minutes or so before we were ushered into the restaurant and directed to a table by the window. We ordered two pies: one with sausage and sundried tomatoes and one with ham and onions. Both were underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, the fresh ingredients, thick tomato sauce and thin, crunchy crusts made our pizzas delicious but they weren't so mind-bogglingly good that I'd make repeat trips to Grimaldis for another taste. Frankly, I find a bacon and spicy sausage from Papa Johns just as tasty, if not more so.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nerine said...

Good grief. You can knit backwards. That is so disturbing and completely confirms your status as Knit Nerd.

The scarf is beautiful and impressive. I'm having difficulty imagining it, so I'll just admire it instead.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

This is a beautiful design and I love the colors! It appears to be very difficult to my eyes however.

Knitting backwards? I have a hard enough time knitting forward! It just goes to show how far you've come with your knitting skills!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home