Friday, December 08, 2006

Zig Zag Conundrum

Having made significant process on the my other Christmas projects I decided to begin some new ones. Enter Zig Zag stripes:

Zig Zag stripes


I'm making the adult version (the one on the left) for my friend Miriam who's a fan of bright colors and fun designs. The pattern is ridiculously easy, which is great because with about 2 weeks left until Christmas I don't have the time for elaborate designs. The challenge is keeping all the different balls of yarn from tangling. I find myself having to untangle yarn every couple of rows and it's getting pretty damn annoying. Here's what I've got so far:

Zig Zag under construction


Damn, that is one craptastic photo! The horrible lighting! The boring composition! I seriously need to enroll in some photography classes. Anyway, notice how the bottom half of the scarf looks a little crooked? Well that's because instead of cutting the yarns before switching to a new color I've been carrying them on the right side along with the working yarn until I need them again. The result is the scarf isn't draping properly because the right side has a little more weight to it. Regardless, I've been plodding along telling myself it looks okay and I'm perfectly fine with it but it's bugging me. I should just stop and frog the damn thing before I get too far but I'm not sure what to do to correct the problem. As far as I know the only alternative is cutting the yarn after I'm done with it but then I'd have a million ends to weave in afterwards. Suggestions, anyone?

2 Comments:

Blogger Nerine said...

Tony says: it looks fine and finish the damn scarf. He also points out that it will be crooked because it's a scarf and it will be pulled and stretched and twisted and knotted up so, do don't worry about it.

I think it looks fine. And besides, the colours and the pattern will disguise and crookedness if there is some.

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it looks fine. Scarves don't have to be perfectly straight, and I bet the tight side will stretch out over time anyway. Looks really good!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home